The Hollywood Reporter announced today that Warner Bros. has optioned “Buzz: The Life and Art of Busby Berkeley” by Jeffrey Spivak for Gosling to produce with Marc Platt. The two previously worked together on Drive and the plan is to develop the project as an acting vehicle for Gosling, who may also direct. The project is in the early stages and no writer is attached.
Berkeley, the choreographer and film director, became famous for his elaborate dance routines in Hollywood movie musicals like 1933’s 42 Street and Gold Diggers of 1933, two of the many Warners movies he choreographed. He was especially famed for his overhead shots in which chorus girls began shifting kaleidoscopic patterns, and he earned three Oscar nominations for best dance direction, a category that no longer exists.
The son of an actor and actress, Berkley became a Broadway dance director in the 1920s after serving in the army during World War I. He came to Hollywood to work on films like Eddie Cantor’s Whoopi! in 1930. He turned to directing with 1933’s She Had to Say Yes and then Gold Diggers of 1935 and continued to work throughout the ‘40s and early ‘50s, moving from studio to studio.
THR is reporting that Ryan is one of the ‘early contenders’ for the Batman role in “Man of Steel 2“.
First, some words of caution. The script is still being written, so nothing has been submitted formally to reps and actors. Two, according to sources, director Zack Snyder is only just beginning to look at actors.
Sources say the new movie is aiming for the tone of the relationship and fight seen in Frank Miller’s 1980s ground-breaking mini-series The Dark Knight Returns (How important is that work? Important enough that the cover to issue No. 2 sold Friday at a Heritage Auction for $478,000.)
Enough with the preamble. Here are the top names surfacing at this stage:
Ryan Gosling, 32 — Yes, Brolin’s Gangster Squad co-star appears to be in the mix. He may be younger than the rest, he may be prettier than the rest, but no one questions his acting chops.
One insider says that any talk of casting is premature since the script isn’t yet written. But that has not stopped studio insiders from whispering names or preventing agencies from drawing up lists of their best faces. Another insider scoffs “You might as well put Adam West in this list” and suggests that a left-of-center choice still could emerge.
Casting is likely to solidify in the coming weeks as Warner Bros wants to shoot the movie in early 2014 for a 2015 release.
Latino Review is reporting that Ryan had a meeting to join the cast of “Star Wars: Episode VII”. But don’t get too excited yet, they apparently also offered the part to Leonardo DiCaprio but he passed.
Disney conspicuously kept Star Wars out of this year’s Comic-Con slate only to have it at it’s own annual D23 Expo, which is about three weeks away, August 9-11 in Anaheim.
The studio is working to produce a Star Wars: Episode VII and continue the story of where 1983′s Episode VI: Return of the Jedi left off. Production on the seventh film in the series will start next year in the UK.
Star Wars cast announcements are speculated to be on the horizon at this year’s D23.
About a two months ago my source informed me that they were going to start filming in Pinewood, but I really never paid any mind to it and now it ends up being true that they will indeed film there. I was also told that a MAJOR film star went in for a meeting, that star was Leo DiCaprio. And now I’m told that he’s out.
A little while ago I was told that two names have been thrown around a lot, and that another star went in last week.
The two stars are none other than… RYAN GOSLING and ZAC EFRON
As for what role Efron would be playing, we don’t know. He could be a Solo kid. But what I was told for sure is the Gosling went in for Skywalker’s son. Yes, that’s right Luke’s kid.
The official line-up for the Cannes Film Festival 2013 is announced as we write this, but it was announced that “Only God Forgives” by Nicolas Winding Refn will be part of the competition at the prestige festival. The festival runs from May 15 until 26. Let’s hope Ryan is able to attend, since he is expected to start production on his directorial debut in May as well.
“The Place Beyond the Pines” will be released March 29th, 2013 according to Box Office Mojo. Collider is reporting the following:
The Toronto Film Festival is widely considered to be the place where a majority of the buzz for so-called “awards films” begins, and this year one of the biggest surprises was Derek Cianfrance’s (Blue Valentine) crime drama The Place Beyond the Pines. The pic stars Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper and centers on the intense feud between a professional motorcycle rider turned bank robber (Gosling) and a rookie police officer (Cooper). The film premiered to an enthusiastically positive response at TIFF, with heavy praise given to the film’s scope and impact; our own Matt Goldberg called it an “epic family saga” in his positive review.
Focus Features acquired the film for 2013 distribution, and many figured the drama would be poised for an awards season release sometime in the fall. Now Box Office Mojo reports that we’ll see the pic much sooner than expected, as The Place Beyond the Pines has been dated for a limited release on March 29th, 2013. This is great news for those of us eager to see what everyone was buzzing about back at TIFF, but it’s a little surprising that Focus is dropping this one so early in the year.
Deadline is reporting that Ben Affleck is in early talks to join the upcoming movie “Focus“. As we reported back in April it was first announced that Ryan and Emma Stone were eyed for the project.
EXCLUSIVE: As Warner Bros prepares to open Ben Affleck’s Oscar-season entry Argo, the studio is in early talks with Affleck to star in Focus. Glenn Ficarra and John Requa wrote the script and will direct. Denise DiNovi is producing. All of this is subject to finding the right female lead, but it all sounds promising and Warner Bros is eager to move quickly and get this into production. Focus tells the story of a veteran con man who gets involved with a newcomer to the grifter business. They become involved romantically but that becomes perilous in a business where they lie and cheat for a living. The complications of the encounter haunt them when they meet up again in the future.
I first wrote about Warner Bros’ purchase of the project in April, when the first notion was for the directors of Crazy, Stupid, Love to bring back that film’s leads, Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone. DiNovi produced that film as well. The Gosling-Stone configuration fell by the wayside awhile ago, but the studio is ready to go with Affleck and they have begun the search for the female lead.
Affleck is repped by WME as are Ficarra and Requa.